Re: [PULL] http://linuxtv.org/hg/~dougsland/v4l-dvb

Hello everyone,

First of all, thanks for your comments guys.

On Sat, 7 Mar 2009 18:26:05 -0500
Devin Heitmueller <devin.heitmueller@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 7, 2009 at 5:45 PM, Douglas Schilling Landgraf
> <dougsland@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi Mauro,
> >
> >    Please pull from: http://linuxtv.org/hg/~dougsland/v4l-dvb for
> > the following:
> >
> >    - v4l2-apps/util: Add rewrite_eeprom tool
> >                            Modules this script is known to work
> > with: em28xx and saa7134
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Douglas
> > --
> >

> Wow, this script really scares the crap out of me.  Is this something
> we *really* need?

IMO yes. The first version of this script was created because an em28xx
user sent an email to me and Mauro asking *help* since his
eeprom was lost and he would like to recover it.

A few time later, his board was recovered by [this script] and now his
device is working and supported by the upstream driver.

> If so, it needs to have a HUGE WARNING explaining
> the few cases that it should actually be used, and it should also
> explicitly block usage against chipsets except for those that have
> been validated to work.

Well, I have read several good ideas from you and others
developers. For now, it's very easy to implement such warning message,
no problem from my side.

> Do you really want to be responsible for the
> first time some unknowing user runs this against cx88 or some other
> chipset you never tried it against and it bricks their board?

As Andy already sent, it's a *GPL* code. Of course, nobody wants to fell
bad because a user replaced his eeprom. We are here because we
want to help them. So, let's add such warning message.

> Also, this won't work against newer em28xx chipsets like the em2874
> and em2884, which have 16-bit eeproms.  And if you corrupt the eeprom
> on the em2874, you actually *WILL* brick the device (which is why I
> removed the code that reads the eeprom in the first place).

Ok, I will add a comment to the script for such chipsets since I don't
have those here for test now. On the other hand, I have tested with
several "older" em28xx devices replacing a *good* eeprom with
*wrong* eeprom and then replaced it again with a good one.. no bad
affects, device is working fine like new.

*Of course, neither me or Mauro we DO NOT recommend nobody to
run this script if it's not really needed (like: erased/wrong eeprom
cases).*

Thanks,
Douglas