Re: [PULL] http://linuxtv.org/hg/~dougsland/v4l-dvb

On Sat, 2009-03-07 at 19:06 -0500, Andy Walls wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-03-07 at 18:26 -0500, Devin Heitmueller wrote:
> > On Sat, Mar 7, 2009 at 5:45 PM, Douglas Schilling Landgraf
> > <dougsland@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > Hi Mauro,
> > >
> > >    Please pull from: http://linuxtv.org/hg/~dougsland/v4l-dvb for the
> > > following:
> > >
> > >    - v4l2-apps/util: Add rewrite_eeprom tool
> > >                            Modules this script is known to work with:
> > > em28xx and saa7134
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Douglas
> > > --
> > >

> > Wow, this script really scares the crap out of me.
>
> Actually it appears to be a meta-script.  It builds a script of i2c-set
> commands to reload an eeprom.  You then have an opportunity to review
> the script to reload the EEPROM and then run it.
>
> You first have to load the gun, then pull the trigger an shoot yourself
> in the foot. :)
>

> >   Is this something
> > we *really* need?
>
> No.  IMO, factory provisionsing is the purview of the manufacturer.
> Does someone actually have evidence of the Windows drivers reloading the
> eeproms on these devices if it is, in fact, true that:
>
> "the eeprom may be erased, due to a bug on a *few eeprom* chipsets that
> sometimes considers i2c messages to other devices as being for it"
>

> But I don't have trashed eeprom sitting in front of me, and I don't have
> to build 256 i2cset commands by hand. :)

Another solution, that may be more complicated for the developer, but
simpler for the end user, is a module parameter to select a compiled in
"eeprom" image if the user knows what device he has, but the EEPROM is
trashed.

A similar option would be to use the kernel firmware loading facility to
load in an "eeprom firmware image" for various devices to use in the
driver, if the eeprom is trashed.

Neither of those would write the new eeprom data, and hence neither
would help the dual-boot Linux/Windows user.

Regards,
Andy