[Q] bulk parameter settings

Hi,

In a patch by Morimoto-san [1] he proposed a method to allow platforms to
specify register address-value pairs to be directly flushed in by the
driver into the sensor.

While I am not very fond of this approach, I cannot think of a proper way
to do this. We used to have S_REGISTER ioctl()s, which even back then
depended on advanced debugging, and are now even more discouraged.
Besides, in his example he had 85 (!) register values, calling S_REGISTER
85 times wouldn't be very efficient either, even if we accept it as a
mainstream method.

Creating real new controls for all those registers (ok, maybe most of them
already exist, or can be derived from others, which would probably leave
us with 20-40 new controls) seems an overkill too.

procedure, doesn't seem to fit very well - this is not firmware, this is
not code that will run, these are just configuration values.

I can think of a couple more possibilities, but none of them makes me
really happy. What do other drivers do or what is the best solution to
this problem? I understand, in "closed" devices, where all components are
fixed, and there are only a finate number of hardware configurations (PCI
/ USB), this problem doesn't really exist, but with "gadgets" (as we from
now on shall call all soc-camera users) hardware designers have a freedom
to select single components to fit their specific needs.

Any thoughts?

Of all the above I would probably prefer to abuse the firmware loading
procedure, or are there better options?

Thanks
Guennadi
---