Re: RFC on proposed patches to mr97310a.c for gspca and v4l

On Thu, 5 Mar 2009, Thomas Kaiser wrote:

kilgota@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
That of course is a guess. OTOH it could be on a scale of 0 to 0x80, or it could be that only the digits 0 through 9 are actually used, and the basis is then 100, or too many other variations to count. Also what is considered a "normal" or an "average" value? The trouble with your suggestion of a scale from 0 to 0xff is that it makes sense, and in a situation like this one obviously can not assume that.

I don't really understand what you try to tell with this sentence:
"and in a situation like this one obviously can not assume that."

I mean, your interpretation of 0 to 0xff is a natural and sensible interpretation (for us). But what one can not assume is, it made sense to those who constructed the system. Perhaps those guys were setting it all up differently.

You are right, we don't know what the developer were thinking, unfortunately,

You have to turn yourself in a webcam developer and think how you would do it. When you find, by observing/testing the cam, that it looks similar as you thought about how to do it, the observation should be true!

True enough. In this respect, there is not much difference between still cameras and webcams.

I will do this again in the next couple of weeks (lens removed).

I believe that this documents are exists, but not available for public:-( Just company confidential.

That may be true. If so, then such documentation is indeed not available. But sometimes a document is published and available, and one just is not aware of the fact.

I will add to this that a lot of documentation for a lot of things really is available to the public.

Anyway most of the Linux webcam drivers were done by re-engineering the Windoz driver (usbsnoop). That said, all information about the cams is "a guess".

Very true. Also true about the still cameras that I supported in libgphoto2. There are no secrets kept on the USB bus. But what is done inside the computer does not appear on the USB bus and there is no log of it.

I will brag a little bit. Give me any cheap still camera that I don't know anything about, and a copy of the Windows driver. Provided only that the camera does not use an unknown, proprietary compression algorithm, I will promise you a working libgphoto2 driver for it within a week. Compression algorithms are the big obstacle there, and the only one.

For the brightness thing, I just was working with a light and studied what is changing in the header of the frame. At this time I did this, I was not aware that I could remove the lens of the webcam to be more sensible to light change and get more precise results.

During the work I did for the PAC7311 Pixart chip I found out that removing the lens and put light directly to the sensor does help a lot to figure out how the cam is working.

And with this idea in mind, we could even get further to guess the compression algo from a cam.

Assuming that the sensor has a Bayer pattern.
- remove lens.
- put white light on the sensor
- use color filter an put each spectrum (RGB) on the sensor
- check the stream and find out what is changing in the stream according to the different light conditions.

I would very much like to see this in action.

Looks like I get off topic, now ;-)

But it is very interesting nevertheless.

I think so, I didn't try with the color filter :-(

Something else comes in my mind. Would it good to document all this what we are talking bout somewhere on a webpage?

Thomas

Perhaps so. Also a good idea to try to collect some people who have similar interests and are trying to work on similar problems. I have been trying to do that for a while, but with mixed and limited success.

May be, some people read this and have the same felling. Let's see what happens.

felling->feeling

We are not chopping down trees. :)

Theodore Kilgore