Re: General protection fault on rmmod cx8800

On Mon, 2 Mar 2009, Jean Delvare wrote:
> > Makes the most sense to me.  I was just about to make a patch to do the
> > same thing when I got your email.  Though I was going to patch the v4l-dvb
> > sources to avoid porting work.
>
> It was easier for me to test on an upstream kernel. The porting should
> be fairly easy, I can take care of it. The difficult part will be to
> handle the compatibility with kernels < 2.6.20 because delayed_work was
> introduced in 2.6.20. Probably "compatibility" here will simply mean
> that the bug I've hit will only be fixed for kernels >= 2.6.20. Which
> once again raises the question of whether we really want to keep
> supporting these old kernels.

cancel_delayed_work_sync() was renamed from cancel_rearming_delayed_work()
in 2.6.23.  A compat.h patch can handle that one.

In 2.6.22, cancel_delayed_work_sync(work) was created from
cancel_rearming_delayed_workqueue(wq, work).  The kernel has a compat
function to turn cancel_rearming_delayed_workqueue() into the
cancel_delayed_work_sync() call.  cancel_rearming_delayed_workqueue() has
been around since 2.6.13.  Apparently it was un-exported for a while
because it had no users, see commit v2.6.12-rc2-8-g81ddef7.  Isn't it nice
that there a commit message other than "export
cancel_rearming_delayed_workqueue"?  Let me again express my dislike for
commit with no description.

In 2.6.20 delayed_work was split from work_struct.  The concept of delayed
work was already there and schedule_delayed_work() hasn't changed.  I think
this can also be handled with a compat.h change that defines delayed_work
to work_struct.  That will only be a problem on pre 2.6.20 kernels if some
code decides to define identifiers named work_struct and delayed_work in
the same scope.  There are currently no identifier named delayed_work in
any driver and one driver (sq905) has a structure member named
work_struct.  So I think it'll be ok.