Re: running multiple DVB cards successfully.. what do I need to know?? (major and minor numbers??)

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 5:49 PM, sonofzev@xxxxxxxxxxxx
<sonofzev@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Some of you may have read some of my posts about an "incorrect firmware readback"
> message appearing in my dmesg, shortly after a tuner was engaged.
>
> I have isolated this problem, but the workaround so far has not been pretty.
> On a hunch I removed my Dvico Fusion HDTV lite card from the system, running now
> only with the Dvico Fusion Dual Express.
>
> The issue has gone, I am not getting the kdvb process hogging cpu cycles and this
> message has stopped.
>
> I had tried both letting the kernel (or is it udev) assign the major and minor
> numbers and I had tried to manually set them via modprobe.conf (formerly
> modules.conf, I don't know if this is a global change or specific to Gentoo)....
>
> I had the major number the same for both cards, with a separate minor number for
> each of the three tuners, this seems to be the same.
>
> Is this how I should be setting up for 2 cards or should I be using some other
> type of configuration.

Allan,

I recommend to use the 'adapter_nr' module option.  You can specify
this option in modprobe.conf -- the name of this file is
distro-specific.

For instance, to make the dual card appear before the lite card:

options cx23885 adapter_nr=0,1
options dvb-bt8xx adapter_nr=2

to make the lite card appear before the dual card:

options cx23885 adapter_nr=0
options dvb-bt8xx adapter_nr=1,2

I hope you find this helpful.

Regards,