Re: [RFC] How to pass camera Orientation to userspace

On Sun, 22 Feb 2009, Hans de Goede wrote:

<big snip>

Yes that is what we are talking about, the camera having a gravity switch (usually nothing as advanced as a gyroscope). Also the bits we are talking about are in a struct which communicates information one way, from the camera to userspace, so there is no way to clear the bits to make the camera do something.

Regards,

Hans

Well, of course the bits are in a struct which is communicates information one way from the camera to userspace. But userspace can do what it deems appropriate with those bits. My point was that if userspace wants to turn the camera upside down in software, all it has to do is to negate those bits. For that purpose, it does not matter whether the bits were originally set "on" (indicating that the sensor is upside down in the camera) or whether they were set "off" (indicating the sensor is right side up in the camera). Now, if it is a question of passing along a changing camera orientation, it is obvious that has to be done with some other mechanism. So, unless my not terribly profound observation about the ability to negate bits was confusing, we are not in disagreement.

Theodore Kilgore