Re: DVB v3 API question

On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 23:50:50 +0100
Hans Verkuil <hverkuil@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've made a v4l-dvb tree containing the old DVB API sources as found here:
> http://www.linuxtv.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/DVB/doc/dvbapi/.
>
> This tree is here: http://www.linuxtv.org/hg/~hverkuil/v4l-dvb-api

It seems that we did suplicate work, except that, on your tree, you just
dropped all CVS history.

Anyway, the DVB API were just added to the repository with all the CVS history.

> Run 'make spec' to build both the v4l2-spec and the dvb-spec, or
> run 'make -C dvb-spec' to build only the latter. You'll need the transfig
> package to get the dvb-spec to compile.

I didn't touch at the Makefiles. Feel free to submit this as a patch for the
current tip.

> My question is if this is indeed the most recent version that we have? There
> is a dvb-api-v4 pdf document, but it is my understanding that v4 was
> actually never implemented and never got beyond the proposal stage. Is that
> correct? Or are there bits and pieces that were actually used?

> The original documentation for v4 is here:
> http://www.linuxtv.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/dvb-kernel-v4/linux/Documentation/dvb/

V4 is a proposal that were never finished.

We're currently using V3 + S2API. This is named as V5.

We need, of course, to update the docs to rename it to Version 5 and add S2API
specs there. We should also review if the current DVB core and drivers match
the V3. I suspect that maybe there are other changes that aren't applied yet at
the docs.

> If someone can tell me the best version to use, then I'll merge it in
> v4l-dvb and people can start to update this document. I can actually do the
> updates for the audio.tex and video.tex part myself.

Seems fine to me.

Cheers,
Mauro