Re: DVB-API v5 questions and no dvb developer answering ?

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 10:08 AM, Hans Verkuil <hverkuil@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Monday 16 February 2009 18:48:13 wk wrote:
>> The last week two guys were kindly asking here on the list where to find
>> a written DVB-API v5 documentation,
>> but nobody of the dvb driver community was answering.
>>
>> http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-media@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg01350.html
>> http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-media@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg01300.html
>>
>> Does that mean that:
>> - dvb developers are currently not interested in application developers
>> integrating new DVB-API v5? or..
>> - no dvb developer reading that list knows something about
>> documentation? or..
>> - does it simply not exist, so who is working on that api documentation
>> stuff?
>
> I do know that the main dvb devs involved in this api are very busy lately,
> but that's no excuse for not providing a document in the Documentation/dvb
> directory.
>
> Steve, Mike, spend a few hours in a weekend to document this API!
>
> Proper documentation should be a hard requirement before allowing new APIs
> in the kernel IMHO.

I couldn't agree more with the last sentence in the above quote.  It's
ridiculous at best that after months now there is _still_ no proper
documentation, yet there was plenty of time when the task-at-hand was
making up s2api and pushing it into the kernel as fast as possible.
I'd love to hear a good reason why this documentation doesn't exist,
or why the people politely asking for help are being completely
ignored since the  "I've been busy" excuse is laughable.

Sorry, I've seen many people expressing frustration over this and many
other things from recent times.