Re: cx8802.ko module not being built with current HG tree

On Tue, 10 Feb 2009 10:09:55 -0200
Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Feb 2009 12:57:47 +0100
> Eduard Huguet <eduardhc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >     Just tried it right now, with these simple steps:
> >
> >       · hg clone http://linuxtv.org/hg/v4l-dvb
> >       · cd v4l-dvb
> >       · make menuconfig & exit from it without touching anything
> >
> > I attach the resulting v4l/.config file generated. As you can see,
> > CX88_MPEG is being marked as 'Y' instead that 'M':
> >
> > $ grep CX88 v4l/.config
> > CONFIG_VIDEO_CX88=m
> > CONFIG_VIDEO_CX88_ALSA=m
> > CONFIG_VIDEO_CX88_BLACKBIRD=m
> > CONFIG_VIDEO_CX88_DVB=m
> > CONFIG_VIDEO_CX88_MPEG=y
> > CONFIG_VIDEO_CX88_VP3054=m
>
> Weird. I 've applied your changeset and copied it at v4l/.config. Then, a make
> menuconfig and exit, just to be sure that kernel build would touch on it.
> Everything worked fine.
>
> > I'm compiling against Ubuntu kernel 2.6.22, which I know it's pretty
> > old. Can this make any difference?
>
> I'm using here kernel 2.6.28.2. Maybe this is some bug on the Ubuntu's kernel
> kbuild, since make *config options at the out-of-tree kernel is a wrapper to
> the kernel kbuild.
>
> Could you please try the same procedure with a newer kernel? There's no need to
> install the kernel on your machine. All you need to do is something like:
>
> wget <newer kernel like 2.6.28.4>
> tar -xvfoj <kernel>
> cd linux

Hmm.. you'll need to provide some .config to the downloaded kernel. You may do it my
running "make allyesconfig" or "make allmodconfig". Another approach would be
to run "make oldconfig", but, in the latter case, you would need to answer to
several questions (it is probably ok to just press enter to all questions).

> make init
>
> cd ~/v4l-dvb
> make release DIR=<newer kernel patch>
> make menuconfig
>
> The "make release" will allow you to use the Kbuild of the newer kernel.
>

> > Best regards,
> >   Eduard
> >
> > PS: by the way, this works fine when using revision 10189,  just
> > before CX88 dependencies got altered.
>
> The problem is that the old Kconfig were causing breakages upstream.
>
> Cheers,
> Mauro

Cheers,
Mauro