Re: [PULL] http://linuxtv.org/hg/~pinchartl/uvcvideo

On Monday 19 January 2009, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 21:49:13 +0100
>
> Laurent Pinchart <laurent.pinchart@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Mauro,
> >
> > Please pull from http://linuxtv.org/hg/~pinchartl/uvcvideo/
> >
> > for the following 3 changesets:
> >
> > uvcvideo: replace strn{cpy,cat} with strl{cpy,cat}.
>
> Hmm... instead of this:
>
> +       phys = kasprintf(GFP_KERNEL, "usb-%s-%s", udev->bus->bus_name,
> +                        udev->devpath);
>
> You should use, instead:
>
>  usb_make_path(udev, phys, sizeof(phys));
>
> This is easier to read and it should become a standard to fill bus_name on
> usb drivers, since it produces a canonical name.

input->name isn't a fixed-size buffer but a dynamically allocated one, so I
can't use usb_make_path as-is. Reading the code, the phys buffer is currently
leaked, so I'll have to fix it anyway.

Switching to a fixed-size buffer is possible and 64 bytes seems to be a
sensible value. Most USB input devices seem to set phys to usb_make_path()
+ "/input0". Is there an authoritative source of information regarding how
the phys field should be formatted ?

Cheers,

Laurent Pinchart