Re: FM transmitter support under v4l2?

Hi Mauro,

>> FYI..now maemo kernel team seems to have written Si4713 FM transmitter
>> driver interfaced over I2C. It is available in the kernel diff here.
>>
>> http://repository.maemo.org/pool/maemo5.0/free/k/kernel/kernel_2.6.27-20084805r03.diff.gz
>>
>> Please download and unzip it and search for
>>
>> radio-si4713.c
>
> Hi Trilok. Thanks for pointing us for the driver.
>
> The driver seems interesting, but I see a few issues with their approach:
>
> 1) it is creating a sysfs API for controlling some of the characteristics of
> the radio. Public API's should be discussed with enough care at
> linux-media@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx before their addition on a driver, and properly
> documented. Also, IMO, the better would be to use VIDIOC_[G|C]_CTRL calls for
> this, or to create another ioctl for handling FM transmission;

Yes, I came across it. It might be because Eduardo just want's to make
it functional and didn't had much time to communicate with community
while making next Nokia Internet Table work with this chip. I can see
that you have CCed him, and he might want to start the interaction now
to formalize the FM transmitter related controls/APIs.

> 2) a V4L2 application has no means to determine that the device is a FM
> transmission device. We need to add some capability flags to inform this to userspace.

Right, a formal cap flag is good. I don't have access to such
in-development Nokia device, and Eduardo can help us here to send a
patch.

> While there, I noticed also a driver for radio-tea5761 and a patch for
> common/tuners/tea5761.c. This also deserves review at linux-media@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I need to look at this in the diff. Thanks for the review.

--
---Trilok Soni
http://triloksoni.wordpress.com