Re: FM transmitter support under v4l2?

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 11:50:28 +0530
Trilok Soni <soni.trilok@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Tobias,
>
> On Sat, Nov 29, 2008 at 7:36 PM, Tobias Lorenz <tobias.lorenz@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi Trilok,
> >
> >> Anybody working on FM transmitter related drivers support under v4l2?
> >
> >> If no, what parts of v4l2 which could be tweaked in right order to
> >
> >> support such devices? I see that SI471x series seem to have FM
> >
> >> transmitters too.
> >
> > right, there are several Si47xx series:
> >
> > Si470x: receivers only
> >
> > Si471x: transmitter only
>
> FYI..now maemo kernel team seems to have written Si4713 FM transmitter
> driver interfaced over I2C. It is available in the kernel diff here.
>
> http://repository.maemo.org/pool/maemo5.0/free/k/kernel/kernel_2.6.27-20084805r03.diff.gz
>
> Please download and unzip it and search for
>
> radio-si4713.c

Hi Trilok. Thanks for pointing us for the driver.

The driver seems interesting, but I see a few issues with their approach:

1) it is creating a sysfs API for controlling some of the characteristics of
the radio. Public API's should be discussed with enough care at
linux-media@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx before their addition on a driver, and properly
documented. Also, IMO, the better would be to use VIDIOC_[G|C]_CTRL calls for
this, or to create another ioctl for handling FM transmission;

2) a V4L2 application has no means to determine that the device is a FM
transmission device. We need to add some capability flags to inform this to userspace.

While there, I noticed also a driver for radio-tea5761 and a patch for
common/tuners/tea5761.c. This also deserves review at linux-media@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Cheers,
Mauro