Re: Linux man-pages PDF book

[CC += linux-man]

Hi Branden,

On Tue, Apr 16, 2024 at 11:51:57AM -0500, G. Branden Robinson wrote:
> At 2024-04-16T15:06:47+0100, Deri wrote:
> > On Tuesday, 16 April 2024 02:02:28 BST Alejandro Colomar wrote:
> > Also I rewrote prepare.pl to not use calls to .MR, to make it faster,
> > which is why you notice no slow down in the run since Branden released
> > code to pdf.tmac, which affected the speed of .MR.
>
> I want to keep an eye on this.  As soon as I observe/reproduce a major
> performance hit (with _any_ man page collection), I mean to do something
> about it.

I'll let you know how bad it is in the Linux man-pages, once I have
something stable that I understand.

> > > Also, how can I get
> > > the Unifont files?  I don't see any .pfa or .pfb in any unifont
> > > packages.
> >
> > Do a bit of research on Peter Schaffter's "install-font.sh".
>
> I forgot to mention afmtodit(1).  The grops(1) and gropdf(1) man pages
> also contain step-by-step procedures

Some feedback from gropdf(1):

     The  following is a step‐by‐step font installation guide for
     gropdf.

     •  Convert your font to something groff  understands.   This

The first step is already assuming I already have a font.  Too bad.  I
don't have one.  Where's my font?

        is  a  PostScript  Type  1 font in PFA or PFB format, to‐
        gether with an AFM file.  A PFA file begins as follows.

If there any Debian package that provides either a PFA or PFB font for
Unifont?  I haven't found it.  So I don't have a font.  Does it mean
that this procedure doesn't apply to my case?

               %!PS-AdobeFont-1.0:
        A PFB file contains this string as well, preceded by some
        non‐printing bytes.  In the following steps, we will con‐
        sider the use of CTAN’s BrushScriptX‐Italic font  in  PFA
        format.

> for supporting "external" fonts.

(sigh) I guess I need to clarify.  I don't know what's an "external"
font.

> But Peter's script is vastly more convenient for pretty much everyone
> (except maybe distro package maintainers, who have not, as far as I
> know, tried to tackle the problem at all).

Why?  What does it do better or worse?  I find it more convenient to use
something that I can apt-get(1) install, and that's not the case here.

Have a lovely night!
Alex

--
<https://www.alejandro-colomar.es/>