Re: No 6.05/.01 pdf book available

On 2023-08-21 16:02, Alejandro Colomar wrote:
Hi Deri,

On 2023-08-21 01:39, Deri wrote:
Hi Brian,

I have created the tar files again with the latest sort.

Both are intended to be used with groff 1.23.0, but the plus version includes
the latest gropdf, so produces more compact output. It also has the narrower
gap between the heading on the intro(1) page, I have not investigated the
reason yet!

Also I have a small bone to pick with your "official" sort order - it's not
consistent. Most people expect a short word like "cat" to appear before a word
like "catatonic", and we see "hosts" does appear before "hosts.equiv", so why
does "man" come after "man-pages"! I've also strayed from the official sort
order in the 6.05.01 pdf by arranging the latin and iso character code pages
in proper numerical order so "latin10" comes after "latin9" rather than
following "latin1". I hope this makes sense.

Is "official" the Book for 6.5.1?  Or is it the scripts/sortman in git HEAD?

Yes - the latest official distributed version uniq page heads;
sortman-no-aliases is your uniq page heads excluding pages aliases;
rpmvercmp and versioncmp are the perl modules providing those functions;
check out the attched diffs in the last couple of emails to see the differnces in the orders, and which one you think matches your expectations.

I've found that scripts/sortman had this problem that you report, and fixed it:

$ ./scripts/sortman << __EOF__
man7/cat.7
man7/catatonic.7
man7/cat_or_dog.7
man7/cat_alike.7
man7/hosts.7
man7/hosts.equiv.7
man7/intro.7
__EOF__
man7/intro.7
man7/cat.7
man7/catatonic.7
man7/cat_alike.7
man7/cat_or_dog.7
man7/hosts.7
man7/hosts.equiv.7

Is this order a good one?  Should maybe cat_alike go right after cat?

I am in favour of all punctuation being treated as word spaces and sorting
"cat ..." before "cat..." but find the real orders more evocative and easier to decide about than examples.

                                -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry