Re: No 6.05/.01 pdf book available

On Monday, 21 August 2023 23:02:35 BST Alejandro Colomar wrote:
> Hi Deri,
>
> On 2023-08-21 01:39, Deri wrote:
> > Hi Brian,
> >
> > I have created the tar files again with the latest sort.
> >
> > Both are intended to be used with groff 1.23.0, but the plus version
> > includes the latest gropdf, so produces more compact output. It also has
> > the narrower gap between the heading on the intro(1) page, I have not
> > investigated the reason yet!
> >
> > Also I have a small bone to pick with your "official" sort order - it's
> > not
> > consistent. Most people expect a short word like "cat" to appear before a
> > word like "catatonic", and we see "hosts" does appear before
> > "hosts.equiv", so why does "man" come after "man-pages"! I've also
> > strayed from the official sort order in the 6.05.01 pdf by arranging the
> > latin and iso character code pages in proper numerical order so "latin10"
> > comes after "latin9" rather than following "latin1". I hope this makes
> > sense.
>
> Is "official" the Book for 6.5.1?  Or is it the scripts/sortman in git HEAD?

Hi Alex,

I have not a clue, at different times it seems to change! I've had various
diffs from Brian. I think he wanted me to use rpmvercmp for sorting, seemed a
bit overkill. You've got a script called sortman, which I don't use, but I
suppose is part of your work when you retire my script and replace it with
your own.

So I don't think I'm the person to ask.

Cheers

Deri