Re: No 6.05/.01 pdf book available

Hi Deri, Brian,

On 2023-08-08 01:14, Deri wrote:
> On Monday, 7 August 2023 09:45:22 BST Alejandro Colomar wrote:
>> Nevertheless, now I remember Deri told me he hardcoded a lot of stuff
>> for 1.22.4 which should be removed after the release of 1.23.0, so it
>> seems that the time has come to chop a lot of stuff from there.
>>
>> Deri, would you mind simplifying the scripts assuming a Build-dep of
>> groff(>=1.23.0)?
>
> Hi Alex, Brian,
>
> I have done some work on building the pdf. One improvement is any warnings
> output by groff, i.e. use of the deprecated .PDF macro, now identify the
> particular man page and line number accurately.
>
> I have attached two new replacement LinuxManBook directories. The first,
> 1.23.0, will run on a stock groff 1.23.0 system.

Thanks!  I've applied that change.  It's great to see the LinuxManBook/
dir reduce most of its contents.

> The second, 1.23.0+, runs
> with the latest gropdf which has a number of advantages for this project - you
> will find the resulting pdf to be more than 5mb smaller, and the page numbers
> in the overview pane match up with the page number at the bottom of each page.

Hmm, I'm reluctant to apply that.  I don't want to maintain a copy of
gropdf(1) and all the files that accompany it.  However, I think that the
directory that uses the system groff (1.23.0) should work with the new
gropdf(1) from 1.23+ if I build from source in my system.

But, I installed groff from git HEAD a moment ago, and I didn't notice the
5 MiB improvements that you claimed, and the page numbers are wrong, so maybe
I'm doing something wrong, or have a non-clean groff installation in place?

> The file NewGropdf.pdf contains description of some of the features in the new
> gropdf.
>
> Both of these should continue to work if the groff version changes, thanks to
> Brian's helpful suggestion to include /usr/share/groff/current in the font
> path, but I have achieved this by specifying it in an -F flag rather than
> patching gropdf.

$ tree scripts/LinuxManBook/
scripts/LinuxManBook/
├── BuildLinuxMan.pl
├── LMBfront.t
├── an.tmac
├── anmark.tmac
├── devpdf
│   ├── TINOR
│   ├── Tinos.pfa
│   └── download
└── utp.mac

2 directories, 8 files

Do we really need all of those files?  groff(1) can probably take the an.tmac
and a few others from the system, no?  I'd like to reduce this to the bare
minimum.

Cheers,
Alex

--
<http://www.alejandro-colomar.es/>
GPG key fingerprint: A9348594CE31283A826FBDD8D57633D441E25BB5