Re: INSTALL may need some elaboration on which man2html(1) to use

Hi!

On 4/2/23 05:57, Mingye Wang wrote:
> Hi uh,
>
> A recent catman patch by Alejandro drove me to try and look at what
> the current state of man2html is like, and to my dismay the Makefile
> didn't work with the "man2html 3.0.1" on my MSYS2 installation. It
> turns out there are at least three such programs around:
>
> * a Perl program (which is the one I got) dating back to 1997 and
> still having a live page on "nongnu"
> * a C program by (presumably) Bruce Korb (can't find the source code!)
> of AutoOpts.
> * a C program by Verhoeven and Brouwer stuck without a homepage on the
> web, last updated as man-1.6g.tar.gz. (+39 patches from Debian, welp.)
>
> I assume from the invocations that Brouwer's version is the intended
> one. Do we want to specify that in the file, or do we just wait for it
> to be replaced by groff?

That has been in the Makefile since the times of Andries's
maintainership (man-pages-1.47, year 2001, to be precise).  I only
updated the recipe to be a Makefile instead of a bash script inserted
in a Makefile recipe.  So yes, it seems to be made for his own program.

Currently, it works on Debian's man2html, although the produced pages
are far from what you would expect from online man pages such as the
ones in <https://man7.org>.

I would say wait for it to be replaced.  HTML is not a priority for me
right now, and I wouldn't lose a single commit in documenting that
detail about man2html, because, well, I don't expect anyone to use this
feature.  :)

Said, that, don't expect me to replace that very soon.  I have other
more important plans, such as adopting groff's new .MR macro (which
incidentally will also improve the HTML pages generated by groff
whenever that is done in the future, as will improve all other output
formats).

Regards,
Alex

--
<http://www.alejandro-colomar.es/>
GPG key fingerprint: A9348594CE31283A826FBDD8D57633D441E25BB5