Re: Conflicting alias for some man pages

Hello Branden,
On Fri, Dec 09, 2022 at 02:37:19PM -0600, G. Branden Robinson wrote:

> > Could you please confirm if this is a bug in the Linux man-pages, or is it
> > something desirable?
>
> I don't think it is a bug for multiple pages to have a mandb entry for
> the same name.  The man(1) librarian is designed in expectation of that;
> we have both printf(1) and printf(3), after all.

Ok. The rationale for my request was that the for *localized* system
this does not work in Debian (reliably). It only works if the english
man page is not present, otherwise you get the english version.

For example, for strcasecmp I currently get the german version,
however, for strncasecmp I get the english version.

I reported this to the man-db package in Debian and was told that
this is a bug in manpages-l10n and that I should create symlinks.

See https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=1020742 for
details.

While doing so, I noticed this problem, because how should I decide if
strncat.3 should point to strcat.3 or string.3? Especially
automatically, because manpages-l10n has a dozen or so languuages with
many thousand man pages.

Currently, the link is set randomly.

> > I find it a bit weird that we need to specify a NAME only once.
>
> There is no such need, and it would be impossible to enforce across
> projects anyway.

For me I would report that where I notice it, however, I do see you
rationale.

But how should man behave? If you enter
man strncasecmp
should it be the man page for strcasecmp.3 or string.3?

> > Then whatis(1) will not find the other pages that also talk
> > about an interface (of course, ideally, only a page would describe an
> > interface, but we know that's not reality).
>
> apropos(1) and whatis(1) do indeed behave in a way that surprises me on
> my Debian system (man-db 2.9.4-2).  I would have expected multiple
> results.
>
> What I expected:
>
> $ whatis rindex
> rindex (3)           - locate character in string
> string (3)           - string operations
> [...and maybe others I haven't thought of]
>
> What I got:
> rindex (3)           - locate character in string
>
> I am not sure why further matches are being hidden.

On my Debian testing system this is (more) correct:

index (3)            - findet ein Zeichen in einer Zeichenkette
rindex (3)           - locate character in string

So maybe something on your system? Is this Debian stable or testing?

Greetings

         Helge
--
      Dr. Helge Kreutzmann                     debian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx