Re: Errors in man pages, here: shmop.2

Hello Michael,
On Mon, Jul 26, 2021 at 01:02:10AM +0200, Michael Kerrisk (man-pages) wrote:
> > Man page: shmop.2
> > Issue: file → files
> >
> > "The following header file is included by the \"reader\" and \"writer\" "
> > "programs."
>
> The existing text looks correct to me. Please let me know further
> details if you still think there's a problem after reviewing.

Probably we do not understand the sentence correctly, so bear with me.
Currently, the man page reads as follows:

   Program source: svshm_string.h
       The following header file is included by the "reader" and "writer" programs.

           #include <sys/types.h>
           #include <sys/ipc.h>
           #include <sys/shm.h>
           #include <sys/sem.h>
           #include <stdio.h>
           #include <stdlib.h>
           #include <string.h>

           #define errExit(msg)    do { perror(msg); exit(EXIT_FAILURE); \
                                   } while (0)

The sentence in question seems to refer to the next paragraph, i.e.
the beginning of the program source. There 7 header files (from
types.h up to string.h) are mentioned. In the translation we also
replaced the full stop by a colon. Since there are 7 header files, we
assume that it needs to be plural.

Now explaining this and reading it again, I think I understand the
sentence now (better). The header file is "svshm_string.h" and thus
singular. So logically (but it does not work in the overall formatting
of the man page), the first two lines above would need to be read in a
different order.

       The following header file is included by the "reader" and "writer" programs.
   Program source: svshm_string.h

If this interpetation is correct, maybe the following change could be
made:

   Program source: svshm_string.h
       This header file is included by the "reader" and "writer" programs:

Once I've your confirmation, I'll align the translation.

Greetings

          Helge

--
      Dr. Helge Kreutzmann                     debian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx