Re: Errors in man pages, here: access.2

Hello Michael,
On Sun, Jul 25, 2021 at 10:45:45PM +0200, Michael Kerrisk (man-pages) wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Jul 2021 at 19:05, Helge Kreutzmann <debian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > I'm now reporting the errors for your project. If future reports
> > should use another channel, please let me know.
> >
> > Man page: access.2
> > Issue: FIXME: The if construct does not reeally work well, better: B<access>() and B<faccessat>() return the following exit codes:
> >
> > "B<access>()  and B<faccessat>()  shall fail if:"
>
> I think the wording is okay. It appears in a number of pages.

I'm giving you a longer rationale for our report:

Currently the man page reads:
       access() and faccessat() may fail if:

       EFAULT pathname points outside your accessible address space.

       EINVAL mode was incorrectly specified.

This looks like a sentence on the one hand and like a table on the
other.

If it was a sentence, it could not be read, take the first case as an
example:
… may fail if EFAULT pathname points …

So we thought it might be better like a table:

       EXIT CODE     DESCRIPTION
       EFAULT        pathname points outside your accessible address space.

       EINVAL        mode was incorrectly specified.

To avoid the actual table formatting and keep it more sentence like we
proposed the above suggestion.

Another fix could be to move the "if" downwards and reword slightly:
       access() and faccessat() may fail with

       EFAULT if pathname points outside your accessible address space.

       EINVAL if mode was incorrectly specified.

And no, we did not check for other occurences.

If you state the current wording is fine ("sloppy sentence") then I
wont argue further of course, I'm not a native speaker, but we might
translate it more freely.

Greetings

           Helge

--