Re: Some locale related updates

Hi,

On 2015-05-12 17:23, Michael Kerrisk (man-pages) wrote:
> On 05/12/2015 03:57 PM, Marko Myllynen wrote:
>>
>> I'll send some locale related updates shortly, most of them should be
>> pretty self-explanatory but I'll provide some references in few cases
>> and I'm sure you can come up with slightly better wording here and there.
>
> I've applied all of the following:
>
> and also this one that you just sent
>
> Are there more to come?

no, that's all, thanks for your superfast response!

>> Related to wording, I see that setlocale(3) states:
>>
>> The locale "C" or "POSIX" is a portable locale; its LC_CTYPE part
>> corresponds to the 7-bit ASCII character set.
>>
>> And
>> http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/basedefs/xbd_chap07.html#tag_07_02
>> states:
>>
>> The tables in Locale Definition describe the characteristics and
>> behavior of the POSIX locale for data consisting entirely of characters
>> from the portable character set and the control character set. For other
>> characters, the behavior is unspecified.
>>
>> Do you think setlocale(3) is consistent with the above?
>
> Help me here ;-). Do you see a problem? If yes, what is it?

Perhaps it's just a language issue, the latter is IMHO somewhat clearer
wrt non-ASCII characters (someone could perhaps interpret setlocale(3)
so that non-ASCII characters are not allowed). I'm ok leaving it as-is,
just wanted to hear your opinion.

Thanks,

--
Marko Myllynen