Re: Improving PACKET_{RX,TX}_RING documentation

On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 2:22 PM, Carsten Andrich
<carsten.andrich@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thanks for the feedback, Daniel and Willem.
>
> Executive summary: We need a good concept for distributing (preferably
> mutually exclusive) information among packet(7) and packet_mmap.txt.
>
> Willem de Bruijn schrieb:
>>>     0. Perhaps a general writeup on how the RX/TX_RING works in Linux,
>>>        it's layout, constraints etc. Btw, not sure if that's also
>>
>> This would duplicate the contents of
>> Documentation/networking/packet_mmap.txt? I would caution against
>> having two sources of documentation that may become inconsistent over
>> time. A detailed discussion could also become too long for a manual
>> page: packet_mmap.txt is already 1067 lines (albeit about half in
>> example code). If that document is confusing, a thorough edit of that
>> would be very helpful, though.
>>
>>>        included already, but the same mmap-technique exists also for
>>>        netlink sockets.
>>
>> See also Documentation/networking/netlink_mmap.txt . If the ring is a
>> generic netlink feature (i.e., not specific to nfnetlink), then man 7
>> netlink is the right place for user documentation (in as far as this
>> is a user-oriented feature).
>
> Some deduplication between netlink(7), packet(7), netlink_mmap.txt and
> packet_mmap.txt is probably a good idea. However, this is much more than
> I initially bargained for :)
> I had a superficial look at the netlink documents, and most concepts
> appear to be very much alike. The operational aspects make quite a large
> exception, though, since the netlink header (usage) is a lot simpler
> than tpacket_hdr including its different versions.
>
> IMHO user-space API documentation should reside in the man page and not
> Documentation/, but I'd like to heard Michael's opinion on that. Maybe
> it's a good idea to have at least a basic description on packet(7) and
> reserve packet_mmap.txt for the more advanced topics?

Yes, user-space API documentation is best in the man pages, IMO. The
split you suggest seems okay to me: the essentials in packet(7) and
referring as needed for advanced stuff to Documentation/

Cheers,

Michael

--
Michael Kerrisk