Re: remap_file_pages() update needed?

Hello Kenny,

On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 5:15 AM, Kenny Simpson
<theonetruekenny@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man2/remap_file_pages.2.html
>
> makes no mention of the restriction against disk-based files with this
> system call.
>
>> On Mon, May 19, 2014 at 5:24 PM, Kirill A. Shutemov
>> <kirill@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>
>>> Disk backed files are not supported by remap_file_pages() since 2007.
>>> See commit 3ee6dafc677a.

Thanks for your note. Others recently also pointed this out, and the
next release of man-pages will address this. Currently waiting in Gt
is this text:

  NOTES
       Since Linux  2.6.23,  remap_file_pages()  creates  non-linear
       mappings  only  on  in-memory  file  systems  such  as tmpfs,
       hugetlbfs or ramfs.  On filesystems  with  a  backing  store,
       remap_file_pages()  is  not  much  more  efficient than using
       mmap(2) to adjust which parts of the file are mapped to which
       addresses.

And there may yet be more tweaks to that text.

Cheers,

Michael

--
Michael Kerrisk