Re: [patch] packet.7: PACKET_LOSS has inverse meaning

Am Mittwoch, den 23.04.2014, 12:12 +0200 schrieb Michael Kerrisk
(man-pages):
> On 04/23/2014 10:51 AM, Carsten Andrich wrote:
> [...]
> > PS: This is not me volunteering to help in that effort. At least not
> > yet ;)
>
> Any way that I could convince you? :-} Some of the API corners in
> man pages are so dark, dusty, and deep that I just don't have time
> to get up to speed on the topic in order to fix the pages, and
> it's really helpful to have someone pick up the reigns on a
> particular topic. In that sense, Vince Weaver (perf_event_open.2)
> and Denys Vlasenko (ptrace.2) have been lifesavers.

I consider man-pages an incredibly important effort, since they've been
very helpful for me on numerous occasions, and I'd generally be willing
to support that effort.

> packet.7 is another one of those dusty corners. I can't see
> myself ever getting the time to make it better, since there's  a
> lot of base knowledge that I lack, and there are so many other
> tasks in need of attention. Andi Kleen made a good effort in
> putting the page together 15 years ago, but since then it has
> mostly languished, short of real love, except for a couple of
> patches in the last 18 months (from Daniel/Willem, and Neil Horman).
> How would you like to become the  maintainer of a man page :-).

You must be in dire need of assistance, if you ask me that, despite
knowing so little about me :)
Unfortunately my experience with Linux packet sockets is very limited. I
messed with them a few times, but only really started using SOCK_RAW
packet sockets (including PACKET_MMAP) a few weeks ago (as a part of my
Bachelor's thesis). I haven't looked at the linux (networking) code
before Monday, when I tried to figure out if either packet.7 or I was
wrong regarding PACKET_LOSS. And I've never even touched SOCK_DGRAM.

All this doesn't exactly qualify me for the job :)

Maybe we should continue this discussion in private, so we don't bore
everyone to death.

Cheers,
Carsten