New man pages as students' projects

On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 07:04:10AM +1300, Michael Kerrisk (man-pages) wrote:
> > as a part of a course on FIT BUT, students few students are requested to
> > create new man pages based on
> >
> > http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/missing_pages.html
> > What is the best/easiest way to get the results used/get included?
>
> See here:
> http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/contributing.html

Hello,

I send another bunch of man pages from our students for revisions.

Best regards

--

  Tomas Kasparek               E-mail: kasparek@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  CVT FIT VUT Brno, L127       Web:    http://www.fit.vutbr.cz/~kasparek

  jabber: tomas.kasparek@xxxxxxxxx
  GPG:    2F1E 1AAF FD3B CFA3 1537  63BD DCBE 18FF A035 53BC

  May the command line live forever!
.\" Copyright (c) 2013 by Josef Lusticky (josef@xxxxxxxxxxx)
.\"
.\" %%%LICENSE_START(VERBATIM)
.\" Permission is granted to make and distribute verbatim copies of this
.\" manual provided the copyright notice and this permission notice are
.\" preserved on all copies.
.\"
.\" Permission is granted to copy and distribute modified versions of this
.\" manual under the conditions for verbatim copying, provided that the
.\" entire resulting derived work is distributed under the terms of a
.\" permission notice identical to this one.
.\"
.\" Since the Linux kernel and libraries are constantly changing, this
.\" manual page may be incorrect or out-of-date.  The author(s) assume no
.\" responsibility for errors or omissions, or for damages resulting from
.\" the use of the information contained herein.  The author(s) may not
.\" have taken the same level of care in the production of this manual,
.\" which is licensed free of charge, as they might when working
.\" professionally.
.\"
.\" Formatted or processed versions of this manual, if unaccompanied by
.\" the source, must acknowledge the copyright and authors of this work.
.\" %%%LICENSE_END
.\"
.TH HOSTALIAS 3  2013-03-20 "GNU" "Linux Programmer's Manual"
.SH NAME
hostalias \- search for host alias
.SH SYNOPSIS
.nf
.B #include <resolv.h>
.sp
.BI "const char *hostalias(const char *name)
.fi
.sp
Link with \fI\-lresolv\fP.
.SH DESCRIPTION
.BR hostalias ()
searches for host with alias
.IR name
in the alias file pointed to by the environment variable
.BR HOSTALIASES .
Aliases in the file specified by the environment variable
.BR HOSTALIASES
are kept in the form:
.RS
host alias
.RE
.SH RETURN VALUE
.BR hostalias ()
returns the name of host if found. Otherwise, a null pointer is returned.
.SH SEE ALSO
.BR gethostbyname (3),
.BR getenv (3)
.\" Copyright (c) 2013 by Tomas Korec (korec.tomas@xxxxxxxxx)
.\" Based on printf.h, printf-prs.c source codes and The GNU C Library manual.
.\"
[...]
.TH PARSE_PRINTF_FORMAT 3 2013-03-18 "Linux" "Linux Programmer's Manual"
.SH NAME
parse_printf_format \- parse types of arguments from printf format
.SH SYNOPSIS
.nf
.B #include <printf.h>
.sp
.BI "size_t parse_printf_format(const char * " fmt ", size_t " n ", int * " argtypes );
.fi
.SH DESCRIPTION
.BR parse_printf_format ()
parses the template string
.IR fmt
and provides information about the number and types of arguments needed for the conversions specified by
.IR fmt .
The information is stored in the array
.IR argtypes ,
at most
.IR n
elements will be stored. Each element of this array describes one argument.
.PP
The information about arguments is encoded using the 'PA_' macros:
.TP 11
.B PA_INT
specifies that the base type is
.B int
.TP
.B PA_CHAR
specifies that the base type is
.B int,
cast to
.B char
.TP
.B PA_STRING
specifies that the base type is
.B char *,
a null-terminated string
.TP
.B PA_POINTER
specifies that the base type is
.B void *,
an arbitrary pointer
.TP
.B PA_FLOAT
specifies that the base type is
.B float
.TP
.B PA_DOUBLE
specifies that the base type is
.B double
.TP
.B PA_LAST
a new type can be defined as an offset from
.B PA_LAST.
For example, new data types 'foo' and 'bar' could be defined as:
.br
.B #define PA_FOO PA_LAST
.br
.B #define PA_BAR (PA_LAST + 1)
.PP
A basic type can be modified by the following flag bits using inclusive-or:
.TP 20
.B PA_FLAG_MASK
is a bitmask for the type modifier flag bits. For example, expression
.B (argtypes[i] & PA_FLAG_MASK)
extracts only the flag bits for an argument and expression
.B (argtypes[i] & ~PA_FLAG_MASK)
extracts only the basic type code.
.TP
.B PA_FLAG_PTR
indicates that the encoded type is a pointer to the base type. For example,
.B 'PA_INT|PA_FLAG_PTR'
represents the type
.B 'int *'.
.TP
.B PA_FLAG_SHORT
indicates that the base type is modified with
.B short.
(This corresponds to the
.B 'h'
type modifier.)
.TP
.B PA_FLAG_LONG
indicates that the base type is modified with
.B long.
(This corresponds to the
.B 'l'
type modifier.)
.TP
.B PA_FLAG_LONG_LONG
indicates that the base type is modified with
.B long long.
(This corresponds to the
.B 'L'
type modifier.)
.TP
.B PA_FLAG_LONG_DOUBLE
synonym for
.B PA_FLAG_LONG_LONG,
used by convention with a base type of
.B PA_DOUBLE
to indicate a type of
.B long double.
.SH RETURN VALUE
Function returns the total number of arguments required by
.IR fmt .
If this number is greater than
.IR n ,
the information returned describes only the first
.IR n
arguments.
.SH SEE ALSO
.BR printf (3),
.BR stdarg (3)
.\" Copyright (c) 2013 by David Spurek (spurek.d@xxxxxxxxx)
.\"
.\" %%%LICENSE_START(GPLv2+_DOC_FULL)
.\" This is free documentation; you can redistribute it and/or
.\" modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as
.\" published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of
.\" the License, or (at your option) any later version.
.\"
.\" The GNU General Public License's references to "object code"
.\" and "executables" are to be interpreted as the output of any
.\" document formatting or typesetting system, including
.\" intermediate and printed output.
.\"
.\" This manual is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
.\" but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
.\" MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
.\" GNU General Public License for more details.
.\"
.\" You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public
.\" License along with this manual; if not, see
.\" <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.
.\" %%%LICENSE_END
.\"
.\" Example and informations are taken from
.\" <http://www.inf.enst.fr/~demaille/a2ps/doc-4.10>
.\"
.TH RE_MATCH 3  2013-03-17 "GNU" "Linux Programmer's Manual"
.SH NAME
re_match \- searches for a match in a string using a named regular expression
.SH SYNOPSIS
.nf
.B #include <regex.h>
.sp
.BI "int re_match (struct re_pattern_buffer " "*pattern_buffer" ","
.BI "const char "  "*string"  ", const int "  "size" ","
.BI "const int " "start" ", struct re_registers "  "*regs" );
.fi
.SH DESCRIPTION
.PP
The
.BR re_match ()
function trying to match as much of a
.I string
as possible starting at a position within it you specify.
Once you've compiled a pattern into a pattern buffer
(using
.BR re_compile_pattern()
or
.BR re_create()
function), you can ask the matcher to match that pattern against
.I string
using
.BR re_match ().
.SS Explanation of the input parameters
.TP
.B pattern_buffer
is the address of a pattern buffer containing a compiled pattern.
.TP
.B string
is the string you want to match; it can contain newline and
null characters.
.TP
.B size
is the length of that string.
.TP
.B start
is the string index at which you want to begin matching;
the first character of string is at index zero.
.TP
.B regs
is a group in regular expression that can match
a (posssibly empty) substring of the string that regular
expression as a whole matched. The matcher remembers the
beginning and end of the substring matched by each group.
To find out what they matched, pass a nonzero regs argument.
For more informations see
.BR re_registers ()
function.
.SH RETURN VALUE
The
.BR re_match ()
function returns -1 if the compiled pattern does not
match any part of string and -2 if an internal
error happens; otherwise, it returns how many
(possibly zero) characters of string the pattern matched.
.SH EXAMPLE
Suppose
.I pattern_buffer
points to a pattern buffer containing
the compiled pattern for 'a*', and
.I string
points to 'aaaaab' (where upon
.I size
should be 6).
Then if
.I start
is 2,
.BR re_match ()
returns 3, i.e., 'a*' would have matched the last
three a's in
.I string.
If
.I start
is 0,
.BR re_match ()
returns 5, i.e., 'a*' would have matched all the
'a's in
.I string.
If
.I start
is either 5 or 6, it returns zero.
If
.I start
is not between zero and
.I size
, then
.BR re_match ()
returns -1.
.SH SEE ALSO
.BR regcomp (3),
.BR regex (7),
GNU regex manual
.\" Manpage for register_printf_function.
.\" Contact xdohna25@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx to correct errors or typos.
.TH REGISTER_PRINTF_FUNCTION 3 2013-03-15 "GNU" "Linux Programmer's Manual"
.SH NAME
register_printf_function \- register a new output conversion
.SH SYNOPSIS
.nf
.B #include <printf.h>
.sp
.BI "typedef int printf_function (FILE *"__stream ,
.BI "                             const struct printf_info *"__info ,
.BI "                             const void *const *"__args );
.sp
.BI "typedef int printf_arginfo_function (const struct printf_info *"__info ,
.BI "                                     size_t " __n ", int *"__argtypes );
.sp
.BI "int register_printf_function (int " spec ,
.BI "                              printf_function " handler_f,
.BI "                              printf_arginfo_function " arginfo_f );
.SH DESCRIPTION
The
.BR register_printf_function ()
function defines (or redefines) the conversion specifier for
.BR printf (3)
template strings.
.PP
The argument
.I spec
is conversion specifier to be defined.
It is advisable not to use lowercase letter, since the ISO C standard
warns that additional lowercase letters may be standardized in future
editions of the standard.
Furthermore flag characters like '#' and type modifiers like 'l' are
ignored.
.PP
The argument
.I handler_f
is the function called by
.BR printf (3)
and friends when this conversion appears in a template string.
The
.I stream
argument passed to the handler function is the stream to which it
should write output.
The
.I info
argument is a pointer to a structure that contains information about the
various options that were included with the conversion in the template
string.
You should not modify this structure inside your handler function.
The
.I args
is a vector of pointers to the arguments data.
The number of arguments was determined by calling the argument information
function provided by the user.
Handler function should return a value just like printf does: it should
return the number of characters it has written, or a negative value to
indicate an error.
.PP
The
.I arginfo_f
is the function called by
.BR parse_printf_format (3)
when this conversion appears in a template string.
The return value from the function should be the number of arguments the
conversion expects.
The function should also fill in no more than
.I n
elements of the
.I argtypes
array with information about the types of each of these arguments.
This information is encoded using the various â??PA_â?? macros.
.SH RETURN VALUE
The function
.BR register_printf_function ()
returns 0 on success, and -1 on failure.
.SH VERSIONS
In the GNU C Library versions before 2.0 the
.I arginfo_f
function did not need to be installed unless the user used the
.BR parse_printf_format (3)
function.
This has changed.
Now a call to any of the
.BR printf (3)
functions will call this function when this format specifier appears
in the format string.
.SH CONFORMING TO
The ability to extend the syntax of
.BR printf (3)