Re: realpath(3) bugs

On Sat, May 05, 2012 at 09:34:01AM +0200, Casper.Dik@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> >The note about Solaris came from the 4.4BSD-Lite man page realpath.3
> >(dated 1994-02-16) which says:
>
> Yes, it noticed that it exists in both BSD and Linux manual pages;
> I asssumed it was copied by one or the other.  Yours address was the
> first I could find to get it remoed.

I am not sure something needs to be removed. One might write
"early versions of" when something is no longer true in recent versions.

Andries

[In case you wonder whether this variation ever existed:
I have no old sources, at least not easily accessible,
but where some man pages straightforwardly state

"The realpath() function derives, from the pathname pointed to
by file_name, an absolute pathname that names the same file,
whose resolution does not involve ".", "..", or symbolic links."

, there are older SunOS man pages that say

"realpath() resolves all links, symbolic links, and references to ``.''
and ``..'' in file_name and stores the path in resolved_name.
It can handle both relative and absolute path names:
  * For absolute path names and the relative names whose resolved name
cannot be expressed relatively (for example, ../../reldir), it returns
the resolved absolute name.
  * For the other relative path names, it returns the resolved relative name."

Such descriptions strongly suggest that the documented version
of realpath need not return an absolute pathname in all cases.]