Re: subpage_prot() man page

Hi Paul,

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 1:01 AM, Paul Mackerras <paulus@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 07:53:35AM +0200, Michael Kerrisk wrote:
>
>> Paul, would you be willing to review this page for the system call
>> that you added?
>
> Thanks for doing this.  It looks fine, with just a couple of small
> comments:

Thanks for checking this over.

>> .SH RETURN VALUE
>> On success,
>> .BR subpage_prot ()
>> returns 0.
>> Otherwise, one of the negated  error codes specified below is returned.
>
> Actually, by the time it gets back out to userland, it follows the
> usual convention for error codes on PowerPC: for an error, the
> positive error code is returned (in r3) with the CR0.SO bit (bit 3 in
> the condition code register) set to indicate error.  CR0.S0 is cleared
> if there is no error.
>
> So I would just remove the word "negated".

Done.

>> .\" Perhaps we don't need to document this implementation detail:
>> .\"
>> .\" Implicit in this is that the regions of the address space that are
>> .\" protected are switched to use 4k hardware pages rather than 64k
>> .\" hardware pages (on machines with hardware 64k page support).
>> .\" In fact the whole process is switched to use 4k hardware pages when the
>> .\" subpage_prot system call is used, but this could be improved in future
>> .\" to switch only the affected segments.
>
> I'm pretty sure we now only switch the affected segment, not the whole
> process.

Okay -- so I added the text:

[[
Implicit in this is that the regions of the address space that are
protected are switched to use 4-kB hardware pages rather than 64-kB
hardware pages (on machines with hardware 64-kB page support).
]]

but dropped the rest of the text above.

Changes will be in man0-pages-3.30.

Cheers,