Re: [RFC] devpts man page update

Suka,

On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 1:10 PM, Sukadev Bhattiprolu
<sukadev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Michael Kerrisk [mtk.manpages@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx] wrote:
> | Suka,
> |
> | On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 1:17 PM, Sukadev Bhattiprolu
> | <sukadev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> | > Michael,
> | >
> | > Following is some text that would need to be added to devpts section of
> | > mount(8) man page (its not a formal patch, just the text to be added).
> | > I am looking for logistics and a general review of the text to be added.
> |
> | The mount(8) page is not part of the man-pages set.  Take a look here:
> | http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/man_pages_other.html
>
> Aah, so maybe different patches for different distros.

No, no...  The point is that mount(8) is part of a different project:
util-linux(-ng).  Your patches potentially need to go to the
maintainer of *that* project.

> I will try to
> send them out at least to Redhat/Suse/Ubuntu. But cannot help asking
> (curiousity/ignorance :-), why are there separate 'trees' for different
> man pages even for features included in kernel ?

The fact that the util-linux(-ng) maintainer includes some kernel
details in the mount(8) man page is not something that I control.  It
may or may not be a good idea.

> | > The relevant kernel patches are currently in ttydev/linux-next trees.
> | > I can send the formal man page patch after those patches go into mainline.
> |
> | Though mount(8) is not on my set, I wonder if there is any text that
> | should perhaps be added to pts(4) or pty(7).
> |
> | http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/online/pages/man4/pts.4.html
> | http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/online/pages/man7/pty.7.html
>
> I think no updates are needed for pty(7).  I was thinking of adding a
> pointer in pts(4) to mount(8), but do the sets of man pages also have
> separate release-cycles ?

Most certainly.  The point is: all Linux man pages do *not* come from
the same source.  The package I maintain consists mainly of pages in
Sections 2, 3, 4, 5, and 7.

> If so, should I stage the patches such that
> kernel patches go in first, mount(8) updates next and pts(4) updates
> last ?

Well, You'd need to talk with the util-linux-ng people, but I think in
the end the order doesn't matter too much.  It's typically only a few
months later that man-pages will end in a distro release anyway..

Cheers,

Michael

--
Michael Kerrisk
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/docs/man-pages/man-pages.git