Re: [RFC] devpts man page update

Michael Kerrisk [mtk.manpages@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx] wrote:
| Suka,
|
| On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 1:17 PM, Sukadev Bhattiprolu
| <sukadev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
| > Michael,
| >
| > Following is some text that would need to be added to devpts section of
| > mount(8) man page (its not a formal patch, just the text to be added).
| > I am looking for logistics and a general review of the text to be added.
|
| The mount(8) page is not part of the man-pages set.  Take a look here:
| http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/man_pages_other.html

Aah, so maybe different patches for different distros. I will try to
send them out at least to Redhat/Suse/Ubuntu. But cannot help asking
(curiousity/ignorance :-), why are there separate 'trees' for different
man pages even for features included in kernel ?

| > The relevant kernel patches are currently in ttydev/linux-next trees.
| > I can send the formal man page patch after those patches go into mainline.
|
| Though mount(8) is not on my set, I wonder if there is any text that
| should perhaps be added to pts(4) or pty(7).
|
| http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/online/pages/man4/pts.4.html
| http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/online/pages/man7/pty.7.html

I think no updates are needed for pty(7).  I was thinking of adding a
pointer in pts(4) to mount(8), but do the sets of man pages also have
separate release-cycles ? If so, should I stage the patches such that
kernel patches go in first, mount(8) updates next and pts(4) updates
last ?

| Take a look at those and let me know.
|
| > Also, is it ok to refer to 'Documentation' directory in the man page  -
| > there are several semantics outlined in Documentation/filesystem/devpts.txt
| > (http://www.linux.org.uk/~alan/ttydev/pty-multiple-doc), that may be of
| > use only to users of containers.
|
| Certainly as far as I'm concerned doing this is okay in the pages in
| man-pages -- you just need to say "the kernel source file
| Documentation/..."

Ok.