Re: Does anyone use Appletalk?

On Wed, 2023-11-01 at 15:27 -0500, Dan Williams wrote:
But... Time Machine debuted with 10.5 and AppleTalk got removed in
10.6; did the actual TimeCapsules ever support AppleTalk, or were they
always TCP/IP-based?

netatalk has two actively maintained versions, one for AppleTalk (2.2.x
series) and one for TCP/IP (3.x series). Both are still being developed
and supported [1].

(also TimeMachine-capable Airport Extremes [A1354] are like $15 on
eBay; that's cheaper than a Raspberry Pi)

I know that commercial entities don't have interest in legacy architectures
and protocols. But Linux isn't a commercial-only project so legacy applications
have a valid use case. Most people in the Linux community don't have a use case
for IBM mainframes, yet they aren't in sending patches to get s390 support removed.

I understand that sometimes old code needs to be dropped when it becomes
a burden which is why I also agreed to drop ia64 support since I have
heard complaints from multiple upstream projects and I also know that a
lot of stuff there is broken with no one willing to fix it.

But I don't understand the removal in this case. What particular burden
does a legacy networking protocol pose if it can be easily disabled at
compile time to reduce the attack surface?

This patch only removes the Linux-side ipddp driver (eg MacIP) so if
Time Capsules never supported AppleTalk, this patch is unrelated to
TimeMachine.

What this patch *may* break is Linux as a MacIP gateway, allowing
AppleTalk-only machines to talk TCP/IP to systems. But that's like
what, the 128/512/Plus and PowerBook Duo/1xx? Everything else had a
PDS/NuBus slot or onboard Ethernet and could do native
MacTCP/OpenTransport...

Which is a valid use case for people from the retro-computing community
as can be seen from the netatalk description above. I don't think that
Arnd reached out to the netatalk project and asked whether the code
is still needed, did he?

Adrian

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netatalk

--