Re: Linux 6.4.4 on m68k - Q40 - pata_falcon causes oops at boot time

Hi Finn,

On 13/08/23 19:38, Finn Thain wrote:

Haven't seen anything yet, so I've just sent a patch switching
pata_falcon.c to use the IO resources instead of the memory resources.
Thanks for sending that.

Survived compile and ARAnyM boot tests only so far. I've checked and
confirmed the entire 0xffxxxxx range is mapped transparent in head.S for
Q40 so I don't see what else might be missing.

In the message that Geert originally forwarded, William was quoted as
saying it was necessary to "fix up the pata_falcon_data_xfer function". He
also said that using the IO port resources "causes the ioread8/iowrite8
functions to complain loudly".
https://lore.kernel.org/linux-m68k/CAMuHMdUU62jjunJh9cqSqHT87B0H0A4udOOPs=WN7WZKpcagVA@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx/

I think your patch is taking the same approach and may run into the same
issues... I guess we shall see when William tests it.

Not having seen William's patch, I can only speculate.

My patch differs from what William reported as changes, in that I'm not using ata_sff_std_ports(). I thought to have sidestepped the iomap issue that way, but perhaps not. I'll send a new version.

Please have a look and test if possible. Haven't yet bothered
linux-block or linux-ide... the patch still needs a Fixes: and other
trimmings so isn't ready for submission anyway.

Right. You'll want to run checkpatch.pl on it at some stage.

Sure.

Cheers,

    Michael