Re: Linux 6.4.4 on m68k - Q40 - pata_falcon causes oops at boot time

Hi Geert,

Am 28.07.2023 um 20:03 schrieb Geert Uytterhoeven:
Hi Michael,

On Fri, Jul 28, 2023 at 9:52 AM Michael Schmitz <schmitzmic@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Am 28.07.2023 um 11:47 schrieb Finn Thain:
What I had in mind is probably unacceptable because drivers end up having
to do byteswapping as happens in pata_falcon (or falconide and q40ide).

Yes, but Q40 and Falcon are impossible to support any other way, and
byte swapping the IDE interface in hardware was never repeated anywhere
else, fortunately. We will have to keep pata_falcon around for that
cause in any event.

Anyone remember TiVo? PPC with byte-swapped IDE interface.

I vaguely remember, but had forgotten even that it was a PPC machine.

It might be helpful to look for some precedent for this kind of thing
among the other big-endian platforms with ISA. MIPS Magnum is dual-endian
but Linux only runs in little-endian mode and the problem doesn't arise.
But there must be other examples. Maybe CHRP?

Not all of CHRP, hearing Geert tell it. But there must be some boards
that have an ISA bus?

It did have an ISA bus, but no ISA slots.
But the only external device on that bus was cs4232 audio.

Thanks, I'll take a look at that.

Cheers,

	Michael

All other ISA devices were internal to the south bridge.
http://g33rt.be/migrated/Linux/PPC/pci/isaAT1/.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert