Re: dash behaviour, was Re: core dump analysis

Hi Finn,

On Sat, Apr 8, 2023 at 7:26 AM Finn Thain <fthain@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, 7 Apr 2023, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
The only way I have found to alter dash's inclination to crash is to
reboot. (I said previously I was unable to reproduce this in a single
user mode shell but it turned out to be more subtle.)

That sounds like memory corruption somewhere else, e.g. in the buffer
cache...

If so, once the corruption showed up, you would expect the same crash next
time...

root@debian:~# sh /etc/init.d/mountdevsubfs.sh start
*** stack smashing detected ***: terminated
Aborted (core dumped)
root@debian:~# sh /etc/init.d/mountdevsubfs.sh start
*** stack smashing detected ***: terminated
Aborted (core dumped)
*** stack smashing detected ***: terminated
Aborted (core dumped)
root@debian:~# sh /etc/init.d/mountdevsubfs.sh start
*** stack smashing detected ***: terminated
Aborted (core dumped)
root@debian:~# echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
[  937.250000] bash (717): drop_caches: 3
root@debian:~# sh /etc/init.d/mountdevsubfs.sh start
root@debian:~# sh /etc/init.d/mountdevsubfs.sh start
*** stack smashing detected ***: terminated
Aborted (core dumped)
root@debian:~# sh /etc/init.d/mountdevsubfs.sh start
*** stack smashing detected ***: terminated
Aborted (core dumped)
*** stack smashing detected ***: terminated
Aborted (core dumped)

I'd say it's probably not buffer cache corruption causing this because we
can see two subshells fail, then just one.

OK.

For that build I enabled SLUB_DEBUG but forgot to enable SLUB_DEBUG_ON --

FWIW, unfortunately not all SL*B_DEBUG are equal. I've seen
memory corruptions that were identified by SLAB_DEBUG, but not by
the other allocators.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert

                                -- Linus Torvalds