Re: dash behaviour, was Re: core dump analysis

Hi Finn,

On Fri, Apr 7, 2023 at 6:08 AM Finn Thain <fthain@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
When dash is feeling crashy, you can get results like this:

root@debian:~# sh /etc/init.d/mountdevsubfs.sh
*** stack smashing detected ***: terminated
Aborted (core dumped)
Warning: mountdevsubfs should be called with the 'start' argument.
root@debian:~# sh /etc/init.d/mountdevsubfs.sh
*** stack smashing detected ***: terminated
Aborted (core dumped)
Warning: mountdevsubfs should be called with the 'start' argument.
root@debian:~# sh /etc/init.d/mountdevsubfs.sh
*** stack smashing detected ***: terminated
Aborted (core dumped)
Warning: mountdevsubfs should be called with the 'start' argument.
root@debian:~# sh /etc/init.d/mountdevsubfs.sh
*** stack smashing detected ***: terminated
Aborted (core dumped)
Warning: mountdevsubfs should be called with the 'start' argument.
root@debian:~#

But when it's not feeling crashy, you can't:

root@debian:~# sh /etc/init.d/mountdevsubfs.sh
Warning: mountdevsubfs should be called with the 'start' argument.
root@debian:~# sh /etc/init.d/mountdevsubfs.sh
Warning: mountdevsubfs should be called with the 'start' argument.
root@debian:~# sh /etc/init.d/mountdevsubfs.sh
Warning: mountdevsubfs should be called with the 'start' argument.
root@debian:~# sh /etc/init.d/mountdevsubfs.sh
Warning: mountdevsubfs should be called with the 'start' argument.

The only way I have found to alter dash's inclination to crash is to
reboot. (I said previously I was unable to reproduce this in a single user
mode shell but it turned out to be more subtle.)

That sounds like memory corruption somewhere else, e.g.
in the buffer cache...

Can you reproduce with CONFIG_DEBUG_SLAB=y?

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert

                                -- Linus Torvalds