Re: U-Boot support for M68K removal

Hi Greg,

On Mon, Jan 30, 2023 at 10:50 PM Greg Ungerer <gerg@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Tom,

On 31/1/23 05:31, Tom Rini wrote:
On Mon, Jan 30, 2023 at 08:10:36PM +0100, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
Hi Eero,

On Mon, Jan 30, 2023 at 8:02 PM Eero Tamminen <oak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 30.1.2023 18.34, Tom Rini wrote:
That's great to hear. While I started my life on m68k machines, I never
did get Linux up on one. Do the coldfire platforms you have run U-Boot
today? If so, are they already supported upstream? One of my biggest
concerns about the architecture, in U-Boot, is that I've just not heard
of anyone using it in quite some time, and we don't have any emulated
platforms either (can it be done in QEMU? We have other plaforms in CI
via QEMU) so I worry it's not working.

Qemu supports both m68k and ColdFire nowadays:
https://www.qemu.org/docs/master/system/target-m68k.html

         - Eero

PS. For m68k there are also a lot of other emulators that emulate
specific platforms.

Aranym, 68040 Atari "clone", used a lot by Debian m68k port before Qemu
got m68k support.

WinAUE, 68000-68040 Amiga emulation.  Unlike Aranym or Qemu, this
emulates also CPU cache.

Hatari, 68000-68040 Atari emulation (based on WinUAE CPU core).

Previous, 68030 NeXT emulator (based on Hatari).

But none of the platforms listed above boot using U-Boot, which is
what Tom is interested in...

"qemu-system-m68k -machine help" lists a.o.:

     an5206               Arnewsh 5206
     mcf5208evb           MCF5208EVB (default)

U-Boot still contains include/configs/M5208EVBE.h, but there are no
actual users...

Angelo: so support for amcore in qemu would be nice ;-)

I did a little searching after sending and I see there's been some
patches for mcf5208evb and U-Boot, in QEMU but the last message (2019)
was that the CPU emulation wasn't quite complete enough.  But yes, one
way or another, it would be really great to get a virtualized platform
in CI to prevent future breakage.

FWIW the QEMU emulation of the m5208evb is good enough to run Linux.
I do a lot of kernel testing (and development!) using that.

Thanks for the info !

Regards
Greg

Regards,