Re: RFC: remove set_fs for m68k

Hi Christoph,

On 15/07/21 7:26 am, Michael Schmitz wrote:
I've got a vague recollection that I've seen weird crashes in the past related to temperature extremes (we've had a few unusually cold days in our parts just now), so I've gone back to a kernel from the switch stack / refactoring exit tests (which ran the stress tests fine earlier) to rule that one out. Looking good so far, so I begin to wonder whether we need to introduce get_fc() and use that to restore the original sfc/dfc instead of assuming USER_DATA is always correct?

No crashes with the known good kernel after over a day of stress testing - I'll try Andreas' patch once the current test run has completed.

One thing I noticed with either your final or your v2 patch series - as far as the tests ran at all, run times were 30% increased. That's a lot more than I would have expected. Large byte size user copies were already handled by the code in arch/m68k/lib/uaccess.c which wasn't explicitly inlined though the calling raw_copy_to/from_user() was. Could the change to no longer inline raw_copy_to/from_user() have such a large impact?

Cheers,

    Michael