Re: linux-m68k archival at lore.kernel.org

Hi Finn,

On Tue, Oct 22, 2019 at 12:42 AM Finn Thain <fthain@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sun, 20 Oct 2019, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
I'm working to add this list to lore.kernel.org.

That's great news because lore.kernel.org is a search engine that actually
works.

Yes, and recently, lots of commits gained Link: tags, so as soon as the
archive is populated, those will start working (they already do if e.g. lkml
was CCed on the original patch posting).

As one of prerequisites they require that we provide full existing
archives of all list messages (or, at least, as complete as possible).
I've collected mine already, but would really appreciate if you could
pitch in from your own collection.

Just follow the instructions on this page:
https://korg.wiki.kernel.org/userdoc/lore

For anyone else attempting this, note that linux-m68k has two addresses,
so you need to pass two '-l' parameters:
-l linux-m68k.vger.kernel.org linux-m68k.lists.linux-m68k.org

Correct.

The above wiki page neglects to mention that the 'list-archive-maker.py'
script has serious problems.

I'd say: ignore that script.

Another problem with that script is that it captures too much. It will
grab messages that appear to be cross-posted (based on To: or Cc:) even if
those messages never reached linux-m68k. I suppose the idea is that
capturing too much is better than too little?

I think that's intentional: when CCing multiple lists, possibly with a personal
CC too, people may have stored a single copy of the received email only,
while you still want it in the archive.

Still, one might question why those messages never reached the list...

My  archive should be fairly complete, except for network outages, and e.g.
the Gandi email disaster week 2 years ago.  And I don't have anything from
the real early days, unfortunately.

I'll let you know if I find any missing messages here

Thanks!

Please note that I discovered that something went wrong when creating
export-linux-m68k-vger.kernel.org2.mbox, so it lacks some emails I do have.
I uploaded those IDs to an additional file (84 IDs):
http://users.telenet.be/geertu/export-linux-m68k-vger.kernel.org2.id.extra.xz

Note that sanitization script choked on some mails from the old
phil.uni-sb.de list, so it didn't succeed for me.

Was that the "From" bug? I am experimenting with pre-processing of mboxes
to substitute the "From" lines in the message bodies. Not yet sure if this
will be entirely successful...

Possibly, my old archives were stored in Alpine mboxes.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert

                                -- Linus Torvalds