Re: m68k using deprecated internal APIs?

Hi Linus,

On Fri, Nov 16, 2018 at 10:33 PM Linus Walleij <linus.walleij@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, Nov 16, 2018 at 8:44 PM Geert Uytterhoeven <geert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, Nov 16, 2018 at 12:13 PM Linus Walleij <linus.walleij@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I mean that whole thing should go away by abstracting those LEDs
(for the systems that have them) using the struct led_classdev,
populating a proper platform device for it and instantiate using
a driver in drivers/leds/*, and the function to provide the heartbeat
be replaced with the existing heartbeat trigger in
drivers/leds/trigger/ledtrig-heartbeat.c assigned as default
trigger for that LED.

I think that is WAY out of the focus for your current work (which,
by the way, is a piece of art) but more something for the m68k
maintainers to look into.

Just going with struct led_classdev is probably doable.

Would be nice.

Going for the full monty, using leds-gpio, probably requires moving m68k
to DT.  Which would not be that ... uninteresting ;-)

If the line with the LED is not general purpose but an actual register
bit for the LED it should not be using legs-gpio anyway.

On Amiga, the line is connected to a CIA.
In modern parlor, that would be a system-controller, providing a GPIO
controller, SPI (microwire) controller, clock controller, clock source,
two clock events, and an interrupt controller.

But something similar to Russells neat drivers/gpio/gpio-reg.c
but for LED classdevs in drivers/leds/leds-reg.c would be
a really tempting option I think.

Thanks, I'll have a look...

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert