Re: [parted-devel] Atari label false positives

On Fri, May 11, 2018 at 06:10:37PM +0200, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:

According to the documentation, p.43 [1], I think offset $01 should always
contain either "GEM", "BGM" or "XGM". They don't seem to be optional.

The Atari partitioning tables are also used on the Q40/Q60 which breaks
many some assumptions.. no GEM here but instead one of two Q40 specific
types such as "QWA" or "QBD" in the first slot.
BTW I have never seen a low-case or camel-case string in this place,
this should be also used.

I guess adding those to atari_probe() should help improve the detection
quite a bit. But I would have to test that first.

It would, however I am not sure what happens if a hard disk is
repurposed from Atari to PC or the other way around partitioning.
There may be some strings or other data left which could be
misinterpreted.

I think I will at least move atari to be probed after all other labels
have failed.

in principle both should be probed, prompting user action if both
find something. They could also return a "score" - based on number of
partitions recognised, their sizes and other info to give a hint which
one is likely a non-random hit.

Richard

--
Name and OpenPGP keys available from pgp key servers