Re: [3.13 regression] kswapd0 and ksoftirqd/0 CPU hogs

Geert Uytterhoeven writes:
Hi Mikael,

On Sun, Feb 21, 2016 at 6:06 PM, Mikael Pettersson <mikpelinux@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Mikael Pettersson writes:
 > Michael Schmitz writes:
 >  > has anyone found a solution to this one?
 >  >
 >  > 3.18-rc5 has kswapd0 hogging the CPU - haven't seen ksoftirqd0 yet.
 >  > Unpacking a large tarball tends to trigger this for me.
 >
 > Alas, no.  I went back to the 3.10.xx kernels and they work Ok for me
 > (they tend to hang during shutdown, but I can live with that).
 >
 > I should do a git bisect...

I've done two git bisects on this.  The first one was inconclusive
(pointed to a harmless commit), but the second one ended up with:

Thanks a lot for doing this!

# first bad commit: [ac4de9543aca59f2b763746647577302fbedd57e] Merge branch 'akpm' (patches from Andrew Morton)

That's a big pile of VM changes, so I think it could be the culprit.

So git bisect pointed to the merge commit itself, not to any of the commits in
the akpm branch?

I redid that merge myself, and the result is the same as ac4de9543aca5.
There could still be a semantical merge conflict that cannot be detected by
git, though.

Could you try cherry-picking the 36 commits from the akpm branch and
bisecting that?
I.e.
    git checkout 26935fb06ee88f11
    git cherry-pick 26935fb06ee88f11..de32a8177f64bc62
    git bisect start
    git bisect bad
    git bisect good 26935fb06ee88f11

I ran these exact commands and restarted my bisection + test loop.

However, git told me it had some 50000+ commits to go through in 16 steps,
so it looks like it selected a much larger range than those 36 commits.

/Mikael