Re: Debian kernel v2.6.38

Hi Geert,
On Sat, Apr 23, 2011 at 20:13, Thorsten Glaser <tg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
â Reserve ST RAM early

Yeah, that's a valid one,
My (and probably lkml's) main issue there is that it introduces yet
another custom
allocator. Can we avoid that?
Ideally it would not be an issue if we could properly flag ST-RAM only as DMA memory. I've tried in the past but setting the max. DMA address to the 0x00ffffff did have unintended side effects elsewhere in the m68k mm code.

If there is a generic lowmem allocator, we might be able to use that instead. It does not need to be available early on, but we need to be able to reserve some lowmem early.

Another possible hack would be to allocate lowmem early on for each compiled-in user and store that in a platform device struct for use by the driver once it initializes. Is there such a thing like early initcalls for this specific purpose (do a minimum early setup such as allocate resources, silence IRQs and the like)?.

If all that is not an option (and for the sake of modules needing ST-RAM), I don't see another way to do it. Some parts of the hardware just need memory below 0x00ffffff.

Cheers,

 Michael

Iâm Bccâing the Debian Kernel person I was talking to, so we may
get an agreement. Iâll revisit your gitweb later then, to see
which patches you actually schedule for Linus, and try to get
them into Debian.

As for-2.6.39 got rebased in the mean time, you have to compare
m68k-v2.6.38 with m68k-queue to see what's (not yet) upstream.

And to back up Christian: keep up the good work!

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert

                                -- Linus Torvalds