Re: [RFC 0/5] tty: move stuff around

On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 11:26, Arnd Bergmann <arnd@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tuesday 31 August 2010, Alan Cox wrote:
drivers/char/tty_*      -> tty/*
drivers/char/{vt stuff} -> tty/vt/
drivers/char/hvc_*      -> drivers/tty/hvc/hvc_*
drivers/serial/*        -> drivers/tty/serial/*

There are dead bits in there too we should prune 68xxx stuff mostly

Geert, can you comment on the 68k serial drivers? Which
ones are to stay, which ones can get phased out?

I don't know much about which drivers are still in active use. People
don't really
tell me ;-)

FWIW, if I use my Amiga's serial port, it's just for a serial console, in case
all else fails (last time I needed that was several years ago).

We have 3 "classes" of serial drivers:

  - generic_serial-based:

      o MVME147_SCC
      o MVME162_SCC
      o BVME6000_SCC
      o A2232

    All of these were marked BROKEN lately due to generic_serial,
while there's even a
    new ATARI_SCC under "active" development...

  - plain drivers/char:

      o SERIAL167
      o AMIGA_BUILTIN_SERIAL

  - drivers/serial:

      o SERIAL_PMACZILOG (Mac)

    Sun 3/3x support might be (re)added to SERIAL_SUNZILOG