Re: mac68k serial

On Sat, 17 Jan 2009, Michael Schmitz wrote:

Hi,

000004 modules linked in: m68k_handle_int+0x1c/0x36

call trace mac_scc_dispatch+0x3a/0x40
auto_irqhandler_fixup+0x4/0x6

also, i hacked the "emile-0.12" sources to build a monitor able to
serially talk: it works for both the 2 LC475 serial lines :P

is there anything about serial support for linux-m68k ?

The real driver for the serial ports on m68k Macintosh systems got
removed from the tree a long time ago and has not been replaced as
of this time. However, we still register mac_scc_dispatch as an
interrupt handler for the line that the SCC uses. This looks like
you got an interrupt for the serial chip and the interrupt code got
confused trying to dispatch to nothing. I've never seen it happen,
but it does look like that would be the expected behavior of the
current code.

I've seen it happen. You should avoid sending anything to the mac
serial port. But you can still capture kernel messages from the mac
serial port without triggering the panic.

Can't you add an empty SCC dispatch that just returns, or will that
cause an interrupt storm?

The VIA would be OK with that. Whether it would work or not would depend
on the SCC. That is, I don't know.

You could also ifdef 0 the relevant code in via.c --

311                 request_irq(IRQ_AUTO_4, mac_scc_dispatch, IRQ_FLG_LOCK,
312                                 "scc", mac_scc_dispatch);

I don't really care enough to send a temporary patch upstream since the
serial port is presently only useful to those hacking on the kernel
anyway.

Finn