Re: I'm back on linux-m68k

On Thu, 16 Oct 2008, Laurent Vivier wrote:

Le 15 oct. 08 à 16:20, Finn Thain a écrit :

[...]

Laurent can fill in the details (and probably correct me here), but I
would imagine that, like XPostFacto**, we'd need to copy the boot
loader to the helper volume, copy the kernel binary, set kernel
arguments, configure boot blocks on the helper device and set the boot
device in PRAM. The tools to do all this from the linux side are part
of Emile. But if/when something goes awry, it may be most easily fixed
from MacOS.

It's a good idea but the primary goal of EMILE is to totally remove
MacOS from the disk...

That argument would be much more compelling if Linux supported more Mac
hardware (by which I mean, co-processor network cards, more powerful
display cards, duo docks, audio, scsi ethernet adapters, scsi HBA
cards...) and MacOS software.

But even if we supported everything, MacOS will always be a better
operating system for certain tasks, since it makes different compromises.

I think dual-booting would make Emile more useful to more people. But it's
quite possible that no-one else would want this.

Finn