Re: I'm back on linux-m68k

Le 15 oct. 08 à 16:20, Finn Thain a écrit :

Hi Josh,

On Wed, 15 Oct 2008, Joshua Juran wrote:

Hello,

I thought I'd mention that I'm back lurking on linux-m68k. Some of you
may remember me as one of the Penguin contributors.

My interests with regard to hacking tend to remain on the Mac OS side
(and to support this I've picked up some 68K asm knowledge), but perhaps this can be useful -- at least, I would have liked to have a Mac program
that downloaded the necessary files, copied the floppy images, and
verified the drive setup.

Please let me know if you would find anything running on the Mac OS side
helpful.

[...]

Laurent can fill in the details (and probably correct me here), but I
would imagine that, like XPostFacto**, we'd need to copy the boot loader
to the helper volume, copy the kernel binary, set kernel arguments,
configure boot blocks on the helper device and set the boot device in
PRAM. The tools to do all this from the linux side are part of Emile. But
if/when something goes awry, it may be most easily fixed from MacOS.

It's a good idea but the primary goal of EMILE is to totally remove MacOS from the disk...

Now, as we are able to boot linux directly from a CD the tools can stay on linux side.

EMILE in fact is a MacOS application :-P , perhaps you can make some developments for EMILE.

Like PC bootloaders which use BIOS to access devices (disk, screen, keyboard, ...) EMILE uses MacOS ROM to access devices.

Inside EMILE, I've written libmacos which is a "wrapper" between the linux side of EMILE and the MacOS side of EMILE (yeah, EMILE is almost like Darth Vader... )

So perhaps Joshua can help me to write some parts, in my TODO there are:

- save/change/restore the gamma of the screen (I don't like the green display of my Q610)
- save/change/restore the video mode
- save/change/restore the boot device

Regards,
Laurent