From: Finn Thain <fthain@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Known working 2.6 kernel config for m68k Mac
To: "Brad Boyer" <flar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "J Silverman" <g1powermac@xxxxxxxxx>, linux-m68k@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tuesday, August 19, 2008, 12:03 AM
On Mon, 18 Aug 2008, Brad Boyer wrote:

On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 06:36:14AM -0700, J Silverman
wrote:
I tried setting up my system so I can use the
floppy drive to copy the
dmesg.  However, I'm not positive that Linux
is seeing the floppy
drive.  I made a device node (major 2, minor 0)
for the drive and
tried to mount the disk and eject the disk, but
it says it's invalid.
Is the major/minor numbers different on m68k
macs?

We currently don't have a driver for any m68k mac
floppy drive in the
tree, so it's expected to not work. At one point,
someone posted a
proposed driver that worked in at least some systems,
but I don't think
it ever got finished or included.

Laurent Vivier wrote swim_driver and committed it to the
2.2 branch on
sourceforge 3 years ago. I believe it supports all m68k
macs, other than
those models covered by the swim_iop driver.

http://linux-mac68k.cvs.sourceforge.net/linux-mac68k/linux-mac68k/drivers/block/?pathrev=linux-2_2

There are several different chipsets to support to
catch every m68k Mac.
I think the only driver that got into the tree was the
one for the IIfx
and Q900/Q950 (swim_iop), but it didn't actually
work in any real sense.

Yes. The swim_iop driver was merged in v2.3 but it was
removed again as of
v2.6.20.

Finn

It could detect the drives and the disk format, and I
fixed it to be
able to eject. I could never get it to read or write,
and I haven't seen
JMT (the original author) on the list in quite some
time. I think it got
removed after people realized it never worked. It
doesn't appear to be
in the official tree. I have the documentation for the
IIfx hardware,
but not the time to fix it.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert