Re: Server down

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008, Ralf Baechle wrote:
On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 08:29:42PM +0200, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
The main question is now if and how we want to preserve the CVS history.
IMO it's possible to preserve it, but if nobody needs it, I don't need to
spend more time on it...

You probably want to talk to Ralf, he has some experience with this...

When I switched Linux/MIPS to CVS my intension was to totally obsolete
CVS.  With the long history of the lmo archive and nearly zero history in
Linus' git archive that meant a significant overhead back in September

There's also the `full history Linux' git repository, which contains
much more (including the BitKeeper history). A few weeks ago I really
used it, for finding out when and why something was changed
(unfortunately the `why' part wasn't answered by the commit log, but
 people still remembered why).

2005.  Today the numbers look much more favorable - the overhead is a
constant size but git compression has improved and the overhead of the
histroy to Linus git objects and new MIPS objects has changed very
drastically.  And for those who actually mirror the full CVS archive
git has been more space efficient at any time than CVS.

I occasionally dig into the history.  Not very often but then it's often
about decissions relating to kernel interface changes or similar so having
the history is crucial.  So I'm willing to pay the price.

I also dig into history (occasionally), not only in the CVS history, but
also in my private git repository that contains all tagged
linux-m68k-2.x.y{,-rcz} versions since 2.4.0 (a conversion from my old
bunch of hard-linked source trees, which took slightly more disk space
than git ;-).

If needed, we can probably recover all m68k versions ever before we
started using CVS...

The most painful thing of all is the actual conversion from CVS to git.
It's a once in a lifetime chance so it's worth pouring a bit of effort
into the conversion - see the git conversion of the m68k CVS on kernel.org
at http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/ralf/linux-m68k.git;a=summary

Yeah, I tried it myself a few times, but it always failed. Thanks again,
Ralf!

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

							    -- Linus Torvalds