Re: Future handling of complex RGB devices on Linux v2

Hi!

> > Yeah, so ... this is not a interface. This is a backdoor to pass
> > arbitrary data. That's not going to fly.
>
> Pavel, Note the data will be interpreted by a kernel driver and
> not passed directly to the hw.

Yes, still not flying :-).

> With that said I tend to agree that this seems to be a bit too
> generic.

Exactly.

> Given that these devices are all different in various ways
> and that we only want this for devices which cannot be accessed
> from userspace directly (so a limit set of devices) I really
> think that just doing custom ioctls per vendor is best.

I don't think that's good idea in the long term. Kernel should provide
hardware abstraction, so that userspace does not need to know about
hardware. Obviously there are exceptions, but this should not be one
of those.

BR,
								Pavel
--
People of Russia, stop Putin before his war on Ukraine escalates.

[Index of Archives]     [Linux ARM Kernel]     [Linux ARM]     [Linux Omap]     [Fedora ARM]     [IETF Annouce]     [Security]     [Bugtraq]     [Linux OMAP]     [Linux MIPS]     [ECOS]     [Asterisk Internet PBX]     [Linux API]