Re: [PATCH 2/3] leds: simatic-ipc-leds-gpio: split up into multiple drivers

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]



On 2/21/23 15:51, Andy Shevchenko wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 21, 2023 at 03:43:54PM +0100, Henning Schild wrote:
>> Am Tue, 21 Feb 2023 15:51:03 +0200
>> schrieb Andy Shevchenko <andriy.shevchenko@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>>> On Tue, Feb 21, 2023 at 01:24:13PM +0100, Henning Schild wrote:
>>>> In order to clearly describe the dependencies between the gpio  
> ...
>>> This header doesn't look right.
>>> Have you run `make W=1 ...` against your patches?
>> No reports.
>>> Even if it doesn't show defined but unused errors
>>> the idea is that this should be a C-file, called,
>>> let's say, ...-core.c.
>> When i started i kind of had a -common.c in mind as well. But then the
>> header idea came and i gave it a try, expecting questions in the review.
>> It might be a bit unconventional but it seems to do the trick pretty
>> well. Do you see a concrete problem or a violation of a rule?
> Exactly as described above. The header approach means that *all* static
> definitions must be used by each user of that file. Otherwise you will
> get "defined but not used" compiler warning.
> And approach itself is considered (at least by me) as a hackish way to
> achieve what usually should be done via C-file.
> So, if maintainers are okay, I wouldn't have objections, but again
> I do not think it's a correct approach.

I agree with Andy here, please add a -common.o file with a shared
probe() helper which gets the 2 different gpiod_lookup_table-s
as parameter and then put the actual probe() function calling
the helper inside the 2 different .c files.

And all the:

+static struct platform_driver simatic_ipc_led_gpio_driver = {
+	.probe = simatic_ipc_leds_gpio_probe,
+	.remove = simatic_ipc_leds_gpio_remove,
+	.driver = {
+		.name = KBUILD_MODNAME,
+	},

bits should then also go into the 2 different .c file files.

Really putting something like module_platform_driver() or
MODULE_LICENSE() / MODULE_ALIAS() inside a .h file is
just wrong IMHO.



[Index of Archives]     [Linux ARM Kernel]     [Linux ARM]     [Linux Omap]     [Fedora ARM]     [IETF Annouce]     [Security]     [Bugtraq]     [Linux OMAP]     [Linux MIPS]     [ECOS]     [Asterisk Internet PBX]     [Linux API]

  Powered by Linux